- The Organ
Built by Brindley & Foster of Sheffield in 1876, it was acquired from Hainton Avenue Methodist Church, Grimsby in 1958 for installation in the hall of the then Derwent Secondary Modern School for Boys, Derby.
- No record is known to exist of its history before 1958, but it seems safe to assume that it was built for Hainton Avenue.
- Its disposition was somewhat unusual for the builder at that period, with its concentration of chorus on the Great and no string tone at all; a synoptically similar organ by Brindley (1865) still exists at St. Georges, Telford.
- All the action was mechanical.
- The installation in Derwent School hall was undertaken as a voluntary project by two masters. The manual stops remained unaltered but the pedal was increased from a solitary Bourdon to 6 stops, derived from two ranks on electric action. The manual stop action was made electro-pneumatic and pistons were provided. New casework was made, of which the console survives, and a modern pedalboard was fitted.
- Following closure of the School the organ was transferred to Kingswood in 1986 by J. H. Poyser of Derby.Financial and practical considerations restricted the amount of renovation that could be done to the original material, and necessitated both the retention of the unorthodox spring-return stop action and the use of pedal material and casework from the old Kingswood organ, an 1899 Lloyd 2-manual instrument.
- As a result of continuing electrical malfunctions,and other factors such as excessive wind leakage, it was accepted in 2003 that a major renovation was needed.
- In the 2004 scheme, undertaken by Edmund R. Stow of Derby, the organ was completely dismantled to enable the leatherwork of the wind reservoir (dating from1876) to be renewed, all the manual action renovated and the pipework restored.
- The pedal chests and action were discarded in favour of a 6-stop slider chest and mechanical action, while a new solenoid system was provided for the stop action of the whole organ. The blower was moved into the organ chamber itself.
- The six stops of the new Pedal Organ are completely independent; the Bourdon and Principal are taken from the former extended ranks while the Bass Flute, Fifteenth and Super Octave have been selected fron the builder's stock. The Bassoon (fron a redundant organ in Bristol) was supplied by the Nottingham & Derby District Organ Adviser,Malcolm Starr Esq.
Specification of the renovated organ.
(stops are Brindley & Foster unless otherwise stated)
Great (C-g) Swell (c-g) Bourdon 16 Young 1894 (?) Open Diapason 8 Open Diapason 8 Stopped Diapason 8 Stopped Diapason 8 Principal 4 Principal 4 Fifteenth 2 Harmonic Flute 4 Nineteenth 1 1/3 Flageolet 2 Lloyd 1899 Oboe 8 Mixture III (slightly recast) Trumpet 8 Tremulant Balanced swell pedal Pedal (C-f) Bourdon 16 Lloyd 1899 Principal 8 Conacher 1870's Bass Flute 8 B&F (Heanor PC) 1878 Fifteenth 4 Gray & Davidson 1878 Super Octave 2 Adkins 1906 (adapted) Bassoon 16 Daniel/unknown 3 unison couplers plus Swell Suboctave 4 thumb pistons, duplicated by toe pistons, to Great + Pedal 4 thumb pistons, duplicated by toe pistons, to Swell Pistons adjustable by switch panels at the console